Saturday, May 26, 2012

Welcome to Drusilla


"Drusilla" a magnificent mansion set on fourteen hectares in Macedon, Victoria was built by the Grimwades in 1931. The Marist Brothers bought the property in 1945 for fourteen thousand seven hundred pounds. In 1947 they partly renovated it to use as a training centre for the Marist Order. It was used as a Juniorate from 1948 until 1954, then as a Novitiate from 1955 till 1976. The Marists then used it as a Retreat Centre until about 2003 when it was sold to private enterprise.

This was the "home" for many young aspirants to the Marist Order for almost thirty years and holds fond memories for them.

This blog is a means of keeping in touch for all those associated with "Drusilla".
 {photo courtesy Tony Alonco - Drusilla 53}

Friday, May 25, 2012

HISTORY OF "DRUSILLA"

In September, 1836, Major Thomas Mitchell, the NSW Surveyor-General, and famous explorer of Victoria, climbed a mountain from which he hoped to see across the volcanic plain to the south, and the waters of Port Phillip and Western Port. From the top of this mountain, which he named after Philip of Macedon (father of Alexander the Great for whom he had great admiration), he was enthralled by the beautiful panorama of the plains to the south.
..
At the foot of this mountain (1013m high), lies "Drusilla" residence of the Grimwade family and the training centre for the Marist Brothers (1948 till 1976).
..
In the 1880's Johanna 'Madam' Weigel, of pattern and fashion fame, began the laying out of what was a beautiful property of approximately 14 hectares. She planted the large oak trees, now over 100 years old, which graced the front and northern sides of the present building. Her house was between the oaks. The property was next owned by a Mrs Murray, who had extensions made to this building. But in the mid-1920's, the house was destroyed by fire caused by faulty electric wiring.
..
The location was bought by (Edward) Norton Grimwade and his wife, Phelia Maude. He was the eldest son of Frederick Grimwade who in 1867 co-founded the firm "Felton, Grimwade & Co" with Alfred Felton (of Felton bequest fame). This company was the largest chemical importers in Australia and also held many shares in ICI Australia and Australian Fertilisers. The Grimwades were one of the many millionaires who bought beautiful properties and built mansions in the Mount Macedon area, so making it a picturesque garden area. Some of these property owners included: David Syme of the "Age"; Nicholas of "Aspro" fame; Essington Lewis - BHP managing director; G. J. Coles; Cameron - the tobacco importer; and Arthur Rylah - politician and lawyer. It was Cameron who had the Memorial Cross erected during World War 1 as a war memorial - his son had been killed in action.
..
Mrs Phelia Maude Grimwade commissioned architects Godfrey and Spowers of Melbourne to draw up the plans for "Drusilla" in February 1931. The Great Depression allowed them to obtain highly talented craftsmen and the best of materials rather cheaply. Hence the beautiful rosewood panelling, the wrought iron work, the unique chimney stacks, the leadlight windows, the cedar venetian blinds, the Flemish carved panelling above the fireplace in the main hall, and the chandlier. The woodwork and brickwork were outstanding. Mrs Grimwade was an arthritic cripple so the lift was installed for her sake. The Grimwades employed about a dozen men including gardeners, butler, chauffeur and five maids, and entertained on a lavish scale.
..
The Queen Anne style mansion was furnished on a similar lavish scale with picturesque and beautiful objects of art acquired in England and Europe, and from many of the important Australian collections.
..
World War 11 brought about a big change at "Drusilla". Servants joined up and so the Grimwades in 1942 had perforce to close up the mansion and live in one of the three cottages previously used by some of the servants. Mrs Grimwade died in 1943, as did the spaniel "Della" buried under the Japanese lilac with a marble, lead engraved tombstone near the front gate. Mr Grimwade died shortly after in 1945, so the executors of their estates and trustees sold the property, the antiques, furnishings and works of art by auction beginning on Saturday 24th November 1945 and continuing through the week until Monday 3rd December. Special trains ran from Melbourne for the auction. The building had cost thirty-nine thousand five hundred pounds in depression times, and the art collection was invaluable.
..
The "Kyneton Guardian" of 27th November 1945 has this par: " The Marist Brothers have bought the estate of the late Phelia Maude and (Edward) Norton Grimwade, the well known Macedon Mountain mansion "Drusilla" for fourteen thousand seven hundred pounds. Brother Andrew, the Australian Provincial, negotiated the purchase".
..
Various caretakers were in charge of "Drusilla" till July 1947. Then Brothers Flavian and Eusebius undertook to prepare the mansion as a training centre. It was during their time that they had the back stairs built and the underground concrete tank installed to collect rainwater, along with many other improvements.
..
The Marist Brothers used "Drusilla" as a training centre from 1948 until 1976. It then was used as a Retreat Centre until it was sold to private enterprise in late 2003.

The Marist Brothers

ADDRESS TO MARK THE CLOSURE OF THE MELBOURNE PROVINCE




 
 
Editor's Note
 
On Saturday 1 December 2012 at the Moonee Valley Racing Club, a celebration of the Marist Brothers Melbourne Province 1948 - 2012 was held. About 400 attended this function. It began with  a special Marist Mass at which the chalice and paten used by St Marcellin Champagnat during his life in France (1789 - 1840). The Principal Celebrant was Bishop Peter Connors DD. This was followed by a celebratory dinner. For those of us that had the privilege to be present  at this celebration, one of the highlights was the occasional address given by Brother Julian Casey, the last Provincial of Melbourne Province.
 
What follows is an abridged version of Br Julian's address, used in our blog with his approval and permission.
 
 
^^^^^^^^^^^^
 
THE BEGINNING OF THE PROVINCE
 
The Province began in 1948 as the "Southern Province" and because no one, not even the authority in Rome, was sure what we were south of, we began using the term "Melbourne Province". We began with 14 schools and 111 Brothers; the average age of the Brothers was 36, a very young group of Brothers. The oldest was Brother Brendan Hill at 79, and Brother Majella Fitzpatrick was one of the youngest at 21 years of age.

The opening and celebratory function .... was held at one of our better monasteries at Lisson Grove Hawthorn, where the only means of keeping foodstuffs was a small ice chest (no refrigerator) and hence no place to chill the wine and beer. Oliver Clark sallied forth and carried the ice in a chaff bag on his shoulder up the long hill. The melting ice and hessian fibres left Oliver in a somewhat bedraggled state, but like many times hence, he saved the day. The meal was hearty if somewhat calorie laden, the catering was good and the wine warmed their hearts, despite the confusion when the labels became unstuck and they weren't sure whether they were pouring Chablis or Sauterne.


EXPANSION

Right from the early days of the Province we have been working on the margins and overcoming the tyranny of distance in Australia. Formation needs of the Brothers were (to our peril) put aside as waves of Brothers fresh from the Novitiate, filled the gapes in the classrooms and dormitories in those schools dotted around the countryside. In 1948, seven of the fourteen schools were Boarding Schools.

By 1989, all but four Brothers had spent some time working in a boarding school, teaching all day, supervising study and dining rooms, coaching teams and looking after dormitories. Free periods and "days off" were years away as Brothers expended their young energies in many different tasks. There was little time for inital and ongoing formation and no opportunities for study and further education.

LAY INVOLVEMENT

 The Province began involving lay teachers in all our schools very early in its history and set in train from the start a wonderful tradition of partnerships and friendships with lay people. For example, in 1958 there were more lay staff members at Preston than Brothers.  ....  We began appointing lay principals, with Ken Taylor at Warragul being the first.

A RENEWED UNDERSTANDING OF OUR MARIST CHARISM

Vatican 11's encouragement to return to the charism of the Founders created the impetus for a closer look at St Marcellin.  ....  But Champagnat isn't the only dimension of our charism. We follow Jesus in the manner of Mary. As we became more aware of Jesus' humanity and his sharing our human condition, so too, did we become more aware of Mary:- not so much as crowned in glory, but as a woman with dust on her feet and sharing our humanity; a woman of faith who travelled a road that was often hard and whose spiritual journey had much in common with ours.

THE CHARISM IN OUR MINISTRY
\
....  In 1981  ....  We invited Fr Gerry Holohan, now Bishop, to help reflect on charism.  ....  "Don't worry about the 80's! Just focus on remaining faithful to the charism of which you are the current custodians on behalf of the pilgrim church."

Well the custodians did their job well. REMAR, with its particular Marist character, became a central part of many of our schools, as a way of promoting faith among motivated students. John McMahon led the way in stimulating reflection on the charism in schools, instituting pilgrimages and ensuring that the charism went beyond principals to school community and staffs.

This charism is alive and well today and a new wave of custodians in Lay Marists have joined with the Brothers in ensuring that the Marist character is evident in our schools and all our ministries and undertakings.

FORMATION

By 1958, it was time to stop the flow of Brothers from the Novitiate into the schools and to provide a more rigorous and academic formation. Responding to the insistent urgings of Br Ronald Fogarty, we established a programme of creditable teacher training and university studies in Dundas NSW, and later at Marist University College Clayton. By 1978, however, we moved away from big groups of Brothers in formation, to a much more individualised method.  ....  Br Eugene Dwyer had returned as a clinical psychologist and began a style of formation which was new to the Province and to the Marist world at that point.

CHARLES HOWARD:- Poverty and Justice, Solidarity

Following the General Chapter of 1976, Br Charles Howard  ....  began a process of making us more aware of  poverty, disadvantage and injustice.  ....  The Ministry to our aboriginal people in Central Australia began, summer holidays were spent in outback communities, cystic fibrosis camps and asthma camps began with Ambrose Kelly, soup kitchens and St Vincent de Paul groups developed. Santa Teresa, Milikapiti, Alice Springs saw us sitting down with aboriginal people accompanying them in the journey and learning from them.

RELIGIOUS LIFE THROUGH THE PERIOD

Up until Vatican 11, we were formed in the "church triumphant" and, like many others, we were ill-prepared for the profound changes in the world and in the Church.  ....  The windows of change were thrown open and a wonderful breeze of freedom touched us. It was a liberating time, full of wonder as we experimented with our new found freedom.  ....

Catechetics became a battleground as the publication "Come Alive" co-authored by Br Michael Donnelly hit the school desks and the pedagogy of human experience as a basis of reflecting on God and Revelation was questioned and challenged. There was indeed "blood on the saddle" as Maurie Bambridge was wont to sing at particularly tense times.  ....

Our common thread and strength throughout our history has been our communities which have shown extraordinary internal solidarity and good common sense. Our communities have been a particularly healthy source of vitality and energy.

LEADERSHIP AND ADMINISTRATION

It's been a wonderful journey, quite literally a journey of a lifetime. It was made possible by wise and sensible leadership by provincials and councils throughout these 65 years. Rex Cambrey was appointed as Business Manager 22 years ago. He invested wisely and  ....  he has been able to develop our property at Australind in Western Australia is such a way as to provide that financial security so necessary for our Mission.

CONCLUSION

As we briefly reflect on our history and journey as a Province, we think of the role that we, as individuals, played in it. Each of us has memories and stories, of exhilaration, of pain, of triumph and disappointment. The historical record is scant; but each of us holds some piece of it in our hearts.  ...

The challenges continue, externally as you would be aware from the media and government scrutiny and internally from ageing. But we are unafraid. The Spirit has been with us throughout our history and will be with us as we move into the future.  ....

We have come to the conclusion of the Melbourne Chapter of Marist History. We turn the page to the Australian Chapter.  ....  May God who has been with us over many wonderful years continue with us on our daring journey to the new land of the Province of Australia.

[posted January 2013]





++++++

MARIST  BROTHERS  and  "DRUSILLA"



Saint Marcellin Champagnat

1789 - 1840

Founder of the Marist Brothers


The founder of the Marist Brothers was Marcellin Joseph Benedict Champagnat born 6th June 1789 at La Rosey near St Chammond in France. He spent his youth here and eventually began studying for the priesthood. He was ordained in 1816 and was appointed to serve in the Parish of La Valla-en- Gier.


<       The village of La Rosey

Champagnat's farm house in La Rosey     >


At the shrine of Fouviere in Lyon, Champagnat resolved to found a teaching institute called "Petits Freres de Marie" (Little Brothers of Mary - Marist Brothers).


Basilica of Fouviere (Lyon) with the Lady Chapel on the right where there is a plaque commemorating the founding of the Marist order by Champagnat.

On 2nd January 1817, the first Marist Brothers' community was formed at La Valla, consisting of Champagnat, Marie Granjon and Jean Baptiste Andras. From this humble beginnings the Marist Brothers' Order developed into a worldwide congregation.


The parish church at La Valla   >

<      Original Brothers' house - lowest structure centre right with chimney.

The first Marist Brothers came to Australia in 1872 and began their first school at the Rocks in Sydney, New South Wales. The first community consisted of a Frenchman, a Scot, and two Irishmen: Br Ludovic Labouryas (28), Br Augustine McDonald (21), Br Jarlath Finand (25) and Br Peter Tennyson (25).The school was known as St Patrick's.

In 1876, due to positive expansion in New South Wales the first Provincial was appointed, an Irishman, Br John Dullea (36).

Australia was an autonomous District until 1948 and was known as the Australian Province. In 1948 the province was divided into two Provinces (Sydney and Melbourne). The Melbourne Province was made up of Marist schools and monasteries situated in Victoria, South Australia, Western Australia and the dioceses of Wilcannia-Forbes and Wagga Wagga in New South Wales.

Due the rapid expansion occurring at this time, there was a frenetic recruitment drive to staff the new and exisitng schools with teaching Brothers. Thus was born "Drusilla" as the training centre for young men and boys (some as young as 12 years of age!) who would eventually staff these schools.




The Melbourne Province flourished and at its peak in the early 1970's had 26 schools and 200 Brothers.

This was due to the leadership and drive of the following Provincial Superiors of the Melbourne Province from 1948 till 2012 - a period of 64 year



First Provincial: Br Placidus Redden  1948-1956

Second Provincial:   Br Damian Willis    1956-1958



Third Provincial: Br Donald Grogan    1959 - 1964

Fourth Provincial: Br Bertinus Feehan  1964 - 1971

Fifth Provincial: Br Cletus Reid    1971 - 1977


Sixth Provincial: Br Walter Smith   1977 - 1983



Seventh Procincial: Br Desmond Crowe  1983 - 1989


Eighth Provincial: Br Julian Casey   1989 - 1995

Nineth Provincial: Br Jim Jolley    1995 - 2001


Tenth Provincial: Br Paul Gilchrist    2002 - 2007


Eleventh Provincial: Br Julian Casey  2007 - 2012



Currently (May 2012) in the Melbourne Province there are 17 schools continuing to provide Catholic education in the tradition of Saint Marcellin Champagnat, 9 Marist monasteries, and 80 Marist Brothers.

As of 8th December 2012, Br Superior General of the Marist Brothers and his Council (in Rome) have decided on the creation of a new province composed of the current provinces of Melbourne and Sydney, as well as the District of Melanesia. It will take the name of Australian Province.

++++++++++



Posted: May 2012

Acknowledgements:
  •  Br Des Howard (Drusilla 63) : information and proof reading
  •  Dorothy Weekes, Archivist Melbourne Province Centre:  the Provincial portraits.
  • Tony Alonco (Drusilla 53) : 'Drusilla' photos
  • Terry O'Brien (Drusilla 49) : La Rosey, Fouviere, La Valla photos
  • Br Gerry Rush (Drusilla 52): for assitance in gathering information


Thursday, May 24, 2012

Annals - Macedon:1948

THE FIRST YEAR of JUNIORATE 1948

{ It is presumed the original entries were written by Br Canice, what follows is as written - posted March 2011}


"The house and property were purchased in 1945. Br Andrew negotiated the sale. The price was 14,700 pounds. Previously the house belonged to the Grimwades - manufacturing chemicals. It was built in 1932 for between 30,000 pounds & 40,000 pounds. During the war the owners lived in the garage cottage because of the shortage of servants.
The area of land, buildings etc. are set out in the catalogue.
During the latter part of '45, all '46 and till July '47 various caretakers were in charge.
In July '47 Brs. Flavian and Eusebius came to prepare the place for a juniorate. They were told to prepare for '50.
Br Falvian made use of the many contacts he had during his work at S.J.C. and got crockery and other articles cheaply. He has installed an underground cement tank to collect roof water for drinking and kitchen purposes, as our stream is contaminated ..... up. He also built the outside back stairs and made arrangements for its roofing; started off the shower block and laundry before he was taken off to St Vincent's Hospital in January this year (1948).
Father Nowlan came two or three days each week and arranged for the people at the Golf House (Carey's) to transport the Brothers on Sunday to Macedon, Riddell, Gisborne etc for Mass.
Father O'Brien of Woodend also came to give the Brothers Holy Mass.
Father Nowlan was given 15 pound to meet the cost of petrol.
Br Eusebius did a lot of very useful work in the garden. The vegetables he grew were money-savers this year.
Br Canice and Br Boniface took up residence a week after Br Flavian had to go to hospital - Jan 20th 1948. Various priests who were holidaying at the Golf House said Mass during the first fortnight. The owners of the Golf House (Careys) took the Brothers to Mass in their car on Sundays.
The Juniors came in on Thursday Jan 29th. Brs. Placidus and Canice met them at the Macedon station and brought them out.
The first arrival was Terry Gleeson from Jindivi(c)k (Gippsland) by car. Others by car were Ron Harding (Kilmore) G Hornsby (Tempey). The boys by train were John Quinlan (East Brusnwick), John Hopgood from East Brusnwick (he was working a couple of years) Brian McGrath and David Edwards of Thebarton SA and Peter Alexanderson about a week later.
Several Pallotine Fathers (Father Kelly and Father Girke (rector) spent a weeks holiday and provided a chaplain. They refused any fee.
Fr. Walsh CSSR gave a three days retreat ending on Sat. March 5th, on the Sunday we walked to 11 o'clock Mass at Macedon on Monday we had no Mass.
Br Placidus tried all the orders for a chaplain. Finally the Salesians agreed to come 17 miles by truck from Sunbury each morning. They agreed to 3 pounds 10 shillings for petrol, chaplains fees and said they were losing at that price as the wear and tear was much greater. They were very generous and obliging at all times.
Mrs Feehan (aunt of Br Bertinus) allowed us the use of her pool for swimming.
On March 9th & 10th a frost burnt off potatoes in the bottom field.
The water in the lake is very low - just covers the valve inlet of the electric pump. A lot is being used on the lawns where Br Placidus has filled in a big hollow and planted new seed.
The water from the lake was escaping through the ram pipe although the ram was not working. The door had been left open.
.....
March 17th A Sports day programme mainly novelty event.
March 24th Father Michael a Polish Priest had a brief holiday and gave us Holy Mass for a week. Carried out a few of the simpler ceremonies of Holy Week.
March 26th Br Placidus arrived for a few days.
March 28th Easter Sunday. Br Boniface gets early start and takes boys to Hanging Rock via the Hump. Home at 7.30.
March 30th Burning off the results of clean up on the island.
Wed 31st Back to school after Easter Break.
April 3rd Begin digging out site of cricket pitch. (paddock across View Rd.)
April 9th Plasterer arrives for shower block.
April 11th Father Lande PP of Gordon (14 mls from Ballarat) comes for a holiday and so relieve Chaplain situation.
Sat. 17th April Arrival of laboratory equipment.
Sun. 18th Dining room carpet packed off to "Ardmara" - Marcellin College Camberwell.
26th April Brunswich boys - about 40 - on a picnic.
30th April Tiler for shower block arrives.
May 1st Fr Lande reluctantly leaves.
May 4th Tiler finishes his part of the showers.
Tues 11th Term exams. Br Placidus brings Br Louis for a "look - see".
Wed 12th Les Hall and his men from Kilmore to fix wooden bridge. Practically rebuilt it.
Frid 14th Brs Silas and Fabius to help clean up for opening. Dig some potatoes.
Sat 15th Big influx of S.A. visitors - Brian McGrath's mother and Br Austin with his people.
Mon 17th Two South African juniors call in on way to Mittagong.
Tues 18th Brs Wilfred, Egbert, Desmond and Angus here to assist with cleaning up.
Thurs 20th Bridges painted. Calcamine and paint over the top - Les Hall idea. Job not too thorough done in a hurry for opening.
Sun 23rd Picnic near Syme's lake. Br Placidus accompanies Juniors.
24th Work in preparing for opening. Kilmore truck bringing in gravel from Bullengarook. Not enough gravel and too much sand.
29th Molly Ronalds and helpers decorate for opening.
30th May Official opening. Rain spoiled the day (Accounts in other book) 3 new juniors. (Kilmore 2 - B Hoare, Br Flynn. East Brun. K O'Connor.
June 1st Lots of potato digging. T Gleeson in Kyneton hospital with carbuncle.
Thurs. 10th Terry Gleeson comes back from hospital.
June 28th Br Damian on holiday. Brings truck. Now we can go to Mass each day.
July 26th Snow.
Aug. 15th More snow - celebrate Our Lady's Assumption with a banquet.
Aug. 16th Fr. Lyons (Columban) arrives for holiday. Good pianist. Much sing-song. Gives lecture on Chinese language.
Aug. 17th Term test exams.
Aug. 24th Heavy snow on Mt. Br Placidus and Br Boniface take boys up. Father Rowan CSSR starts retreat.
Sat. 28th Aug. Picnic in glacial valley on side road to Bacchus Marsh.
Sept 1st Altar rails arrive. Pig sent back to Kilmore - not enough scraps.
9th Sept Cow from Kilmore.
20th Sept. Br Clement (A.G.) comes from Kilmore with Br Placidus. Stay the night.
2nd Oct. Arrival of Fr. O'Callaghan
Oct. 24th Br Bernard brings party from Kilmore for afternoon. Give boys afternoon tea.
Thurs 28th Brs Silas and Flavius here for holiday. Br Flavius great service as chef.
Nov. 1st Picnic at Bullengarook.
7th Nov Go to "Christ the King" celebrations at Sunbury.
13th Nov. Plant potatoes.
Nov 22nd Proficiency Exam.
Thurs. 25th Salt paths with coarse salt.
Dec. 1st Inter starts.
Dec. 9th Put in more potatoes.
Dec 17th Depart for Camberwell. Scholastics arrive. Adam's (furthest cottage) painted out for classrooms. Laundry painted.

 
 
***************


'48 CHRISTMAS HOLIDAYS at  MOUNT GAMBIER

Ten of the Juniors travelled over and back in the Chev Ute with Brother Canice doing all the driving.

 
TRIP on GLENELG RIVER:
Back row: Peter Alexanderson, Brother Canice, Brian Flynn, John Quinlan, Terry Gleeson (partly hidden) David Edwards
Front Row: Ron Harding, Basil Hoare, Kevin O'Connor, John Hopgood, Brian McGrath



ON WAY BACK TO MACEDON (well rugged up for travelling in back of ute, no seat belts, only protection St Christopher medals!!)
Basil Hoare, Peter Alexanderson, Terry Gleeson, John Hopgood (partially hidden), Kevin O'Connor, Brother Canice, Brian McGrath, Ron Harding.


'50 CHRISTMAS HOLIDAYS in SALE

 

Corrections to above original:  Diarmuid Crandles and Bruce Piercy
 


Photos and information courtesy Brother Kevin Hoare (Drusilla 48)
 

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Juniorate Staff Members

Br Canice (George Robert O'Donnell)
born February 13, 1915,
died March 15, 2006.

1948: Canice O'Donnell, Boniface Kivlighon, Louis Flavian Scharpf.
1949: Canice O'Donnell, Nilus Kenny, Ludovic Bourke, Anastasius Moran.
1950: Canice O'Donnell, Ludovic Bourke, Methodius Murphy, Vincent Smith
1951: Canice O'Donnell, Ludovic Bourke, Methodius Murphy, Kevin Hogan (Callixtus)
1952: Canice O'Donnell, Ludovic Bourke, Kevin Hogan (Callixtus), Noel Hickey (Jerome)
1953: Canice O'Donnell, Noel Hickey (Jerome), Austin Redden (Osmund), Terry Gleeson (Ernest), Roger Reidy.
1954: Brendan Feehan (Bertinus), Noel Hickey (Jerome), Austin Redden (Osmund), Leo Hurley (Augustine).

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Juniorate Roll-Call 1948 - 1954


1949 Group Photo
Back Row: Ernie Burrows, Brian Flynn, Brain McGrath(RIP), John Quinlan, Basil Hoare, Terry Gleeson(RIP).
Middle Row: Vin Scott (RIP), Peter Alexanderson, Brian Monro, John Hopgood (RIP), Dermot Crandles.
Front Row: Kevin O'Connor, Terry O'Brien, Bruce Piercy(RIP), Neil Morrison, Bernie O'Connell (RIP), Brian Greaves, Kevin Kyne (RIP), Brian Ridgeway.
Then: Br Ludovic (RIP), Fr Tim O'Callaghan (RIP), Br Canice (RIP), Br. Nilus (RIP).


The Juniorate..
was a period of discernment for aspirants to the Marist Order. They completed their secondary education during this time, and helped with the maintenance of the property. Sport also played an important part of the weekly timetable. The daily routine was similar to any Catholic boarding school of these times with opportunites provided for prayer, study, work, sport, and relaxation. Many life long friendships were formed during this time both between those who became Marists and those who decided to return to secular life.


ROLL CALL 1948 till 1954


1948 (11):

Peter Alexanderson, David Edwards, Brian Flynn, Terry Gleeson, Ron Harding, Basil Hoare, John Hopgood, Geoff Hornsby, Brian McGrath, Kevin O'Connor, John Quinlan.


1949 (13):

Ernie Burrows, Dermot Crandles, Brian Greaves, Kevin Kyne, Allan McGlade, Brian Monro, Mal Morrison, Terry O'Brien, Bernie O'Connell, Bruce Piercy, Brian Ridgeway, Vin Scott, Harry Peck.


1950 (16):

Ken Austin, Michael Brown, Ray Burns, Stan Burrow, Richard Casey, George Crowley, John Date, Peter Dickson, Brian Fitzgerald, Tony Kelly, Brian McCrystal, John Meehan, Bede Naulty, Chris Peterson, Gerald Smith, Mark Whitty.


1951 (25):

Ken Bambridge, Kevin Bodey, George Byrne, Redmond Casey, Les Claridge, John Crowe, Dean Curtis, Mike Doherty, Michael Dowd, John Emery, Nello Facci, Frank Green, Barry Hansen, Pat Hewitson, Kevin Irvin, Ken Keating, John Kelly, Jack Kelly, Tony Kennedy, Kevin Lane, Peter Lawler, John Maybon, Gerald Mead, Brian Philp, Peter Rawlings.

..

[Peter Lawler recalls: George Byrne arrived from Forbes with Peter and John Maybon on 25th January. George departed the Juniorate on 29th January (has to be the shortest stint!). George achieved fame in his short stay at the Juniorate by swimming across the lake underwater.]


1952 (25):

Kevin Agnew, Remo Bianco, Gavin Bolger, Max Bond, John Buck, Tom Earnshaw, John Hassett, Les Jones, Luke Kavanagh, Michael Keon, Tom Lawlor, Kevin Lynn, Bill McCarthy, Tony McGirr, Robert Mitchell, David Myers, Peter O'Brien, Terry Orrell, Greg Parnham, Karl Quinn, Michael Rush, Brian Scales, Michael Wade, Peter Walsh, Dominic Williams.


1953 (16):

Tony Alonco, John Campbell, John Dini, Peter Gill, John Kavanagh, Frank Loughland, Errol Lovett, John Mitchell, Ken Pentland, Bernie Pianto, Ken Rolls, Fred Schepsi, Brian Sully, Barry Tonkes, Des Tuck, Peter Wallace.


1954 (18):

Philip Bugg, Ron Campbell, John Connor, Allan Cooper, Eugene Dwyer, John Fox, Peter Giles, Frank Hanrahan, Peter Howes, Bill Jolley, Brian Keating, Peter Kellett, Kevin Langley, Terry McDonald, Bruce Nabbs, Ambrose Reilly, Greg Shiel, Tony Welch.

TOTAL ROLL-CALL: 124

..

Deceased confreres. May they all rest in peace.

..

From 1955 the Juniorate became part of Champagnat College at Wangaratta.


Monday, May 21, 2012

Drusilla - St Patrick's Day Sports and Concert

St Patrick's Day at the Juniorate 1948 - 1954 was a special day.
There was a full program of athletic and novelty events during the day followed by a concert in the Hall in the evening. The sports events were washed out in 1950, but 'tradition' was upheld so they were not contested that year.
..
Sports Champions - as recorded in the Annals.
..
1948:
Novelty day - no awards just competed for the heck of things.
..
1949:
Champion Team - captained by John Quinlan.
100 yards championship won by Terry Gleeson.
..
1950:
Washed out - no competition.
..
1951:
Senior champion - John Quinlan
16 years - Kevin O'Connor
15 years - Brian Fitzgerald
14 years - Mark Whitty
13 years - Peter Rawlings
..
1952:
Senior champion - Kevin O'Connor
16 years - Brian Fitzgerald
15 years - Greg Parnham
14 years - Terry Orrell
13 years - Peter O'Brien
..
1953:
Champion Team: Red (Tony Kennedy) 423 points; Green (John Maybon) 387 points; Gold (Bruce Piercy) 347 points.
Senior champion - Bruce Piercy
16 years - Greg Parnham
15 years - Kevin Lane
14 years - Des Tuck
13 years - Peter O'Brien
12 years - John Dini (only competitor)!
..
1954:
Champion Team: Green ( Terry McDonald) 466 points; Red ( Brian Fitzgerald) 408 points; Gold (John Kelly) 309 points.
Senior champion - Brain Fitzgerald
16 years - Terry McDonald
15 years - Des Tuck
14 years - Peter O'Brien
13 years - John Dini
..
Editor's Note: In 1951, there was a relay cross country from Drusilla to Memorial Cross and back (about 8 km). Only condition was that runners were not permitted to cross through private property. Brian Greaves (Drusilla 49) did his leg up and back in running spikes along the fairways of the local golf course - smart move!
..
Concerts (Cultural Pursuits) - as recorded in the annals
..
1949:
A Trio singing: Silent Night: Dermot Crandles, Terry O'Brien, and Harry Peck
A Solo by Harry Peck: Marseillaise
A Duet singing: Adeste Fideles: Malcolm Morrison, Brian Greaves
Another Duet: The Herald Kids and Sambo: Ron Harding and Peter Alexanderson
The Plays: The Mummy Knows and A Shadow Play
The Songs: Hail Glorious St Patrick; Killarney; The Rose of Tralee.
..
1950:
Duet singing: The Rose of Tralee: Brian Fitzgerald, Mick Brown.
A Solo by Terry O'Brien: Brahm's Lullaby.
Banjo Mandolin Solo by Ken Austin
A Solo by Richard Casey: Au clair de la lune and Sur le pont d'Avignon.
Duet singing: Galway Bay: Malcolm Morrison, Brain Fitzgerald.
Leaving and Matriculation Choir: MacNamara's Band; To our musical club; Campdown Races.
The Plays:
A Radio Play by Terry Gleeson, Brian Flynn, Brian Monro and Brian Greaves.
A Shadow Play by Terry Gleeson, Brian Greaves and Kevin O'Connor.
A Sketch by Peter Alexanderson, Kevin Kyne, Dermot Crandles and Malcolm Morrison
The Songs:
Hail Glorious St Patrick
A Little bit of Heaven
Mother Macree
Little Town in the old County Down
Believe me if all those endearing young charms.
..
1951:
Solo by Kevin Lane singing: Oh What a Beautiful Day
Recitation by Les Claridge
Solos by:
Brian Fitzgerald singing: Sweet and Low
Brian Greaves singing: Black Sheep
Peter Alexanderson singing: Juanita
A select choir: Brian Fitzgerald, Dermot Crandles,Ken Bambridge, Brian Greaves, Peter Lawler, Kevin Lane and Terry O'Brien
singing:
All through the Night
Killarney
The Harp that Once
Special Items:
The Magician by John Crowe
A Dent by Mark Whitty, Ken Austin, and Dean Curtis
The Songs:
Mother Macree
Ye Banks and Braes of Bonny Doon
The Plays:
The Man in the Bowler Hat: Intermediate class
A Fruity Merlodrama: 1st and 2nd Years
Scenes from Macbeth: Leaving
Cinderella: Matriculation
A novelty item by Tony Kennedy: Mandrake the Magician